Saturday, July 19, 2014

Helloooooo High School!

9th grade.  Freshman.  13 years old.  My life as a teenager was about to get a lot more fun.  I had my old friends and a lot of new friends.  A new teen club opened called "Confetti's" and I was there.  Every Friday.  Every Saturday.  Bangin' my head to every heavy metal song that was played.  I could smoke there, right out in the open and no one said a word.  I could even buy cigarettes (Hobo on Westgate!!!) without a problem.  I had older friends so alcohol was never a problem.  I was having a blast with all of my friends.  9th grade rocked!

I had my mind set.  There was one boy that I had known for 4 years but he was shy.  He didn't talk to many people but he was well liked.  He was an amazing drummer in a band, Apathy.  I tried and tried and was determined not to give up.  It worked.  Christopher Lee Wier was mine!  We dated for over 2 years.  He was my first serious boyfriend and I loved him with that crazy schoolgirl love that probably drove him crazy.  One of my best friends, Neely, was dating his brother Jamie so the 4 of us had a blast together!  Dating someone in a band required an understanding that the band always came first.  It was an agreement they all made with each other.   The better they became, the more popular they became which led to more travel.  Neely and I would go out of town with the band (and their parents) as often as we could but it just didn't work anymore.  We ended as friends and have remained friends still.  I adore his mother and still spend time with her when I can!  She prayed for me, with me and listened to me about everything that was going on at home. I will NEVER forget what she did for me. Love you Momma Wier!!!


In 11th grade, this new kid from New Orleans showed up in my English class.  Every time he walked up to the teacher, he would glance over at me and smile.  I started hanging out with him and in turn, made a lot more friends.  Chad Maurice Wiebelt. Lucky again.  One of Chad's best friend's was Dena's boyfriend, Jim! 11th & 12th grades were filled with trips to the beach, bauxite mines, hot tub parties, house parties and hanging out at Southside Mickey D's.  Chad and I hadn't been dating long.  We were at Jim's house late one night and got a phone call about 2am.  Chad, Chuck and I flew back to town to find out his brother, Ryan had been killed in a car wreck.  My stomach still turns when I think of that night.  The screaming.  The crying.  There were 5 kids living in that house.  They were all very close and to see all of them hurting like that just killed me.  Not long after that, my aunt & uncle were murdered.  Going through two horrific events like that really brought us closer.




A couple of years after graduation, Chad proposed.  I really thought this was going to be it.  We were still young though and again it didn't work out.  We were over.  It didn't end well.  End of that story. Well, until later.

In the meantime, my mom met an AMAZING man that we both adored.  I had met his daughter so my mom wanted to take me to meet his son one day. The name rang a bell but I couldn't place it.  Not until I saw his face.  Toby McGriff.  If you ever went to Wiregrass Commons Mall in the late 80s/early 90s (as a teenager) then chances are you knew.  You knew that once your parents dropped you off, you headed out to the woods with your group of friends to smoke pot and drink, sorry, DRANK some Mad Dog 20/20 and Boone's Farm.  Toby was occasionally in the woods. ANYWAY, our parents got married and that was the best thing she ever did.  He has filled a void in my life and I'll love him as my Dad for the rest of my life.



Now that I'm a mom, I couldn't imagine either one of my children doing half the things I did.  Hunch punch parties ending with the police calling my parents to pick me up AND THEN singing the Brady Bunch song in the backseat because I was still drunk.  To this day, every time I hear Paradise City by Guns & Roses I remember sniffing rush and Scotch Guard.  I was horrible.  I'm even embarrassed to say so much of the stuff I did, but I have to own it.  In turn, I have to strive every day to provide a solid foundation for my children.  I know they'll mess up and Im all for them learning from their mistakes.  I want them to know they'll face consequences but they''ll never lose my love.  I did what I did.  I'm not gonna lie, we had a LOT of fun.  But what did I miss out on in return?



High school was over, college started and my life was about to change forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment