Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Inflation

It's now Fall of 1996.

I left Alabama at an easy 125 pounds.  I sure didn't come back home that way.  Personal inflation.

I moved in with Chad's family in Louisiana.  I didn't have any hair, my mouth was drawn up, my eye was still covered because the stroke screwed it up and I was in the darkest place I had ever been in my life.  I stayed in my bedroom literally all the time.  I drank 6-8 Sprites a day.  I had $75 worth of Halloween candy at the computer so I stayed online, ate and drank 15+ hours a day.  In January of 1997, I had eye surgery in New Orleans to try to correct what happened either from the stroke or the OD.  I was awake for that surgery.  (Jimmy Fallon "Ew!" insert). Originally, the doctors wanted to sew my eye shut when I was in the hospital because it didn't close all the way.  NAWP- NADA!  I just dealt with it and had the eye muscle surgery for correction.  Even to this day, that is a lazy eye.  I can't take a picture without looking like a moron because of that eye.  It's just another thing I dwell on every day that I can't stand about myself.
Anyway, eventually I got a job at Outback but I had zero self confidence because of the way I looked so I quit serving.  I then applied for a job at the auto auction.  The lady that interviewed me turned into not only a boss, but a mom away from home.  Pam Lopez.  She trained me, loved me and was there for me through so much.  When Chad and I broke up later and I got my own apartment, she helped me get everything I needed to survive. 
So, now my hair was growing out some and I was starting to feel better about myself.  Chad and I were going out, playing pool and having a really good time together.  I have no doubt Chad loved me.  He treated me like a princess and I never wanted for anything, except to be normal again. He and I developed some problems and ultimately we split up for the final time.  7 years with him.  It was almost like a divorce.  Our lives had been so intertwined since 11th grade and then nothing.  The person I really thought I would spend the rest of my life with was gone.
I had a decision to make.  I could run back home to my parents or I could try to make it on my own.  I stayed.  My job at the auto auction was going really well so I got an apartment on Lake Pontchartrain.  I LOVED my apartment.  It was the first thing that was mine and mine alone, but I was lonely.  Every Friday I got off work, I would literally sit at my computer until Sunday night.  I chatted, built websites and just completely goofed off.  I didn't invest in friendships like I should have. Not REAL friendships, outside of the computer.  I worked with some sweet, sweet girls at the auto auction and we had so much fun at work together.  Mandy.  January. Angie.  I'm sorry that I was so self absorbed that I didn't take the time to really build friendships with you.  I'm lucky enough to still have a great friendship with Mandy and I sure do miss those times back in Louisiana with those girls!

I stayed in Louisiana until 1999.  It was then that my mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.  I didn't have a clue what that was but I did know I wanted to be at home.  I quit my job, packed up all my stuff and moved back to Dothan.  60 pounds heavier.  Inflation.

My SINGLE brother.....taking a break from packing all of my stuff to head back to Bama.
 
(He is SOOOO gonna kill me for posting that pic!!!)

I rented a duplex from Chip Bailey, got a job at Red Lobster and started over, again.  Wait, wait wait....HOLD UP.  We gotta back up a few months.
During the time I was sitting on the computer doing nothing, I would look for random people from high school or previous employers.  I came across this guy on ICQ (anyone remember that??) that worked at Red Lobster.  The same one I worked at for years!  He was only 16.  I was 23.  But I was two states away and he was just someone fun to talk to.
Ok, now back to Dothan.  I started back at Red Lobster because I can say with full confidence that I am one hell of a server.  I knew the manager, she knew my situation, so I had a jobby job.  I sashayed my hiney into work one day, walked up to this scrawny kid with braces that worked in the kitchen and said SOMETHING but I don't have a clue what. *lol*  It was the same guy I talked to when I lived in Louisiana.  Joshua Loyd Edwards had now entered into my story.
Josh was 17.  He was probably 120 pounds soaking wet and stood 5'10.  Oh Im SURE I have a pic around here somewhere......



Josh and I became closer friends.  I knew he was too young for me so we just hung out together at work, cracking jokes and playing Rummy online at night.  The more time we spent together, the more I learned that this 17 year old was wise beyond his years.  He had goals.  He had a plan.  He was determined.  We spent more and more time together and whatever it was that we felt for each other completely overwhelmed both of us.  It was, I don't even know how to describe it. His parents found out about me and did not like it at ALL!  It started to get ugly.  I didn't have a good track record with making the best decisions so what did I do?  You bet, I wanted what I wanted and was determined to get it.


Our song became the Cops theme song........
 



No comments:

Post a Comment